Veneers are used to improve the look of stained, worn, uneven, misaligned, or chipped teeth. We can also fix gaps in teeth in certain situations, to make your teeth look as good as new, or better than ever!
Dental veneers, sometimes called dental porcelain laminates, are very thin shells of composite resin or porcelain. Each of these shells is custom-made and is attached to the front of each tooth. It changes the shape, size, length or color of teeth in order to provide a beautiful and natural looking smile.
Veneers are made from either porcelain or composite resin materials however most patients prefer porcelain veneers for a number of reasons:
- Compared to composite resin veneers, porcelain looks more natural because the way it reflects light is very similar to how natural teeth do.
- Veneers made of porcelain are tolerated by gum tissue better than composite. Although no serious reactions have been documented with composite resin veneers, porcelain made shells are overall more comfortable for the patient to wear.
- Both types of veneers are considered stain resistant but studies have proven that porcelain veneers are better at actually being stain free.
- Color-wise you can choose a porcelain veneer that can make darker teeth look whiter.
- Porcelain veneers when bonded firmly to teeth become very durable and strong.
- Porcelain veneers last longer since resin bonding wears out faster.
- Porcelain veneers offer a less invasive way of modifying the shape and color of your teeth as compared to dental crowns.
Discuss Your Options
Although we have enumerated the benefits of using porcelain veneers as opposed to those made from composite resin it is still important to discuss your choice thoroughly with your dentist. He or she is still in the best position to advise you as to what type of veneer would best suit your lifestyle.