Anytime you feel severe pain in a tooth, you may know there’s a possibility you need root canal treatment; however, sometimes an infected root canal may not send such a strong signal that something is wrong.
Please review the list of potential indicators of root canal infection. If you are not currently seeing a dentist and are not experiencing these symptoms, it is still important to go in for regular checkups. Bacteria that starts in the mouth is easily carried into the rest of your body, causing problems with inflammation and illness in other areas of your body. Also, Gum Disease is the leading cause of death in America for both men and women and can go unnoticed for years.
- Of course, we already mentioned severe pain in a tooth, which may be described as shooting, sharp, aching, extreme, etc… Occasionally, the pain might not seem so severe, but it can be a constant, dull, throbbing, uncomfortable feeling as well.
- Sensitivity or pain may accompany changes in temperature to your tooth, usually when eating or drinking hot or cold food and beverages.
- Discoloration of a tooth may indicate that the tooth isn’t getting proper nutrients and is infected. The tooth will get darker in color when this occurs.
- Swelling and tenderness in gums that surround an infected tooth often occurs and may also indicate the presence of gum disease.
- Occasionally, a patient will develop pimples on their gums that are recurring, or persist for an extended period of time.
- Discomfort in the jaw bone, near the infected tooth may also occur.
Occasionally, we see cases where a patient ignored the symptoms, even when in extreme pain, thinking that the problem would eventually go away. When this occurs an abscess can form; which if left untreated can have serious and permanent effects to jaw bone and surrounding soft tissue, and can even be life threatening.
If you are experiencing a tooth ache, or any of the above symptoms, please call us now at 713-523-6848. We look forward to meeting you and helping improve your dental and overall health!